Monday, November 12, 2012

YUMMY Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

WOW! I have not been on Blogger for waaaaay too long! It's all totally new and different. How fun!

I haven't been on Pinterest for a very long time either. Well, yesterday, I got an email saying that one of my pins that had only 15 pins, was repinned & repinned until it hit 112! I was kind of in shock. So, I decided that I should get back on this "A Date with Pinterest" thing. My husband misses all the yummy food I use to make. Of course, we don't miss the yucky. But the goodness makes up for the awfulness.

The other day I decided to make a super YUMMY chicken noodle soup from scratch. The canned stuff is kind of "meh" to me. My mom has been making this recipe forever. The noodle recipe is actually my Great-Great-Great-Grandma's recipe. In one of her books, she wrote in the column a little story about the noodles. She wrote, "I was down to my final 3 eggs and decided to make noodles with them to make them stretch further. I made the noodles, rolled them extra thin, and set them out to dry. Then the horse got at them. I would have killed that horse if we didn't need him so much!" Lol! So funny.

Ok, here we go! I don't really have a recipe, but in the end I will list everything you will need.

 
Yummy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup!

So, I baked 3 small chicken breasts in the oven, just covered the tops with salt & pepper. You can use more or less chicken.
While the chicken was baking, I cut up some carrots, celery, and onion. And put those aside. I probably used 2 stalks of celery, 4 carrots, and half an onion
Then I put 10 cups of water on the stove to boil. I didn't have any chicken broth, but if i did, I would use like 6 cups broth, and 4 cups water. Since I didn't, I will be using 6 cubes of chicken bouillon.
While I was waiting for the water to boil. I made the noodles.

Here is my Great-Great-Great-Grandma's recipe :)
2C flour
3 Eggs
2tsp salt
1/4-1/2C water
Mix. Roll SUPER thin. They will grow when boiled, and I sometimes forget and have monster flour noodles, no good. Then cut into strips.

Once the water begins to boil, drop in the bouillon cubes to dissolve. After they're dissolved, add the noodles and then the veggies. After it boiled a while, my chicken finished, so I shredded it up, and dropped it in. Then turned down the heat a little.

In the end, I mix a little corn starch with COLD water until smooth, then slowly add it to the soup to thicken it up a little.
Add a little salt & pepper to taste.

BAM! Done.

:)
It's pretty easy. And soooooooo yummy!!

Ready for a kicker?? People think we are CRAZY!! But we LOVE to serve this over some homemade, warm, fluffy mashed potatoes. I know, I know... I'm half Idahoian, I love my potatoes!! But really. Try it. You will be amazed. I swear. My sister in law thought we were nuts, then she tried it because that's how we all were eating it. Yup, she loved it.


Ingredient overview:
3 small chicken breasts
Celery
Carrots
Onion
10C Water & 6 cubes of Chicken Bouillon OR 4C Water & 6C Chicken Broth
Salt & Pepper
2C Flour
3 Eggs
2tsp Salt
1/4-1/2 Water

No comments:

Post a Comment