Thursday, November 29, 2012

Apple Pie Caramel Apples

Today, I attempted to make these beauties.

I have never made a caramel apple. But these looked FAB. I figured, what the heck.
THIS is where I got the recipe from.
Hers looks way better than mine. Don't judge.
Anyways- here is the recipe.
 
Apple Pie Caramel Apple
Ingredients:
1 bag Kraft caramels
4-5 large, tart apples (You can use red apples too but I like the contrast of the tart apple with the caramel)
1 bag white chocolate chips or white chocolate candy melts
cinnamon sugar
 
Directions:
1. Wash, scrub, and dry apples. This is important or your caramel won’t stick because of the coating stores put on apples.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt caramel according to package directions.
3. Put popsicle stick in the apple. Dip in melted caramel making sure to fully coat it. **I thought I had popsicle sticks, but I did not. I only had the sticks for like suckers & cake pops. I highly recommend popsicle sticks. They'll be easier to eat in the end**
4. Place on parchment or wax paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. **Tried the sprayed wax paper. They still stuck, and a litttttttle bit of the paper ripped off. I used a mat for the chocolate layer, worked much better for me.**
5. Cool in the fridge until caramel is set up. If you want a thick caramel layer, add another layer of caramel here and let it set up again.
6. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals. You can add a little shortening if the mixture is too thick.
7. Coat the apple with the chocolate.
8. Let it set up a little bit before sprinkling it with the cinnamon sugar mixture. **This is a must. Look at the back left apple. HA!** 
9. Cool completely in the fridge.
10. Cut into slices and serve.
Can be made up to one day ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator.

It took me 2.5 apples to finally figure it out. The chocolate part needs to be quick, my caramel melted if I took too long.
These were SUPER yummy! Totally keeping on our keep list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment